Tamarind Rice Paste (Pulikaichal)

Spicy Indian Rice Variety...

All of the sudden I had the crave for the tamarind rice but I haven't tried this even for once. I remember my mom making it often, so I asked mom for the recipe... I tried the whole recipe with a doubt abt the amount of tamarind I used... but the finish product turned out very well and jus like my mom's... Thanks Mom



Ingredients

tamarind 250 gms soaked in hot water
mustard seeds 3 tbsp.
urad dal 3 tbsp.
channa dal 3 tbsp.
peanuts 1/4 cup roasted n skin peeled
methi powder 2 tbsp.
turmeric pow 1 tbsp.
asafetida 1 tbsp.
curry leaves 1 cup
dry chilli 20 - 25 stem removed and broken in half
salt to taste
oil 1/2 cup (gingili oil is best but any oil will do)



Soak the tamarind in hot water for half an hour and extract the juices from it.


Add oil in the pan and let it get heated thoroughly.


Add the mustard seeds and let it splutter nicely.


Now add the channa dal, urad dal and let it get slightly browned.


Once they are cooked add the broken dry chillies.


Then add the curry leaves (these curry leaves gives a grt flavor), tamarind extract and fry for few mins.


Now add the peanuts, turmeric pow, asafetida, methi pow and salt to it and let it boil.



Let it boil till the oil oozes in the sides.


Remove from fire and let it cool completely and store it in a clean container in the refrigerator.
When needed add little amount of paste to hot rice, mix n serve.

It stays good for 3 months (if it stays till that :)

Comments