Green Gram Thoran

Green gram is one of the whole source of protein and mostly we make this as dosa(pesarattu) and other than that for my knowledge I have not used these beauties but one of my friend from Kerala once sent me this Thoran and I totally loved it now I am sharing this recipe with you all so u too can start loving these healthy beauties...

Please try and give me ur feedback in the comments...

Ingredients

Green gram) - ¾ cup

Coconut - ½ cup
Small onion/shallots - 3,sliced
Chopped garlic - ½ tsp
Green chilli - 3, chopped
Pepper powder - ¼ tsp
Cumin (jeera) - a pinch (optional)
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp

Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
Curry leaves
Salt
Oil - I used coconut oil

Method

Soak the green gram overnight, wash it and add enough water to jus cover them and add salt to taste, microwave on high for 5 - 7 mins or you can cook this on stove top too.

Combine coconut, sliced small onion, chopped garlic and green chilli, pepper powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt in a bowl.
Mix it well using your finger tips.

Heat oil in a wide pan and crackle the mustard seeds.
Add the coconut mixture and cook for 2-3 mins.
Add cooked cherupayar and mix well. 

Cover and cook for 2-3 mins on low flame. Switch off the gas and serve hot.

Note

If you don't want to soak the green gram overnight then dry roast the gram for few mins and add 2.5 cup water and pressure cook for 6 whistles.

It will get cooked in  6 whistles, but it can vary. If it's not cooked after 6 whistles, pressure cook it again for 3 more whistles. Again, it depends on the texture that you like the gram to be.

I recommend using coconut oil for authentic Kerala taste.

Comments