Pakoda Kurma

Today's recipe has a lot of memories connected with my childhood and my granny's village function...

Every year during the month of June there will be a village function at my granny's place and my grandma will be making many other stuff for dinner for the relatives that come...  And this Pakoda Kurma with soft and hot idlies will surely present in the menu...

Not only me but almost all of them love this combination...
I have never made it till now but suddenly I felt like eating the combo for a dinner and it has been since 3 years I went for the village function...  I miss those days and my grandma...

When I finished the dish and took my first mouth I jus felt like I was in my granny's house having her preparation...

The only change I made to this recipe was she used to deep fry the pakodas in oil but I jus Airfried them with my Philips airfryer, so an awesome tasting Kurma with a healthy twist...


Ingredients

1 large onion chopped finely
1 large tomato chopped finely
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
15 prepared pakodas ( click HERE for the Pakoda recipe )

TO GRIND

Batch A

1" ginger
4 cloves garlic
4 big green chillies ( adjust to spiciness)

Batch B

10 cashew nuts
10 almonds
2 tbsp grated coconut

Method

Prepare the pakodas according to the recipe HERE

Add oil to a pan, once heated add the Garam masala, onion, curry leaves and fry till the onions are tender.

Add the tomatoes and the "batch A" ground paste to it and fry till the raw smell disappears.

Add turmeric, salt and enough water to make the kurma and bring to boil till the veggies are cooked throughly.

Now add the pakodas and let it boil till the pakodas become soft.

Once done add the "batch B" ground paste and let it simmer for 5 mins.

Add some chopped coriander leaves and let it sit for an hour before its served.

Serve hot with hot idlies, dosa,  roti or even rice...


NOTE:

Make sure the Kurma is little on the watery side as the pakodas will absorb the water and it will become thick.

The grated coconut can be substituted with coconut milk powder and the nuts can be completely replaced with coconut.

Comments