Butternut Squash Sourdough Pancakes

Recently I made some baked veggies and from that I had half of butternut squash left over in my fridge, so thought of using it to make some pancakes.

When i searched my files I was not able to find any so was going thru my FB and found a post from my friend Elena, she was the one who shared me some sourdough starter too...

But that was a regular pancakes but I wanted to make them with some sourdough so I started making my own recipe...

The results were super awesome.
It's easy, healthy, tasty, fluffy and colorful...

I made a double batch of these and am storing them...

I think this is a better way to get some veggie in to the kids...  They just love it.


Ingredients

250 gms sourdough starter (inactive, from fridge)
250 gms water
250 gms wheat flour
*2 cups butternut squash (roasted and mashed)
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking soda

Method

*Roasting Butternut Squash:

I used 1/2 an squash and cut it into quarters and roasted in a preheated 350 f/180 c oven for an hour.

Let it cool and peel the skin and add to the blender. Blend till nice and smooth.



For the pancakes:

Take the sourdough starter from fridge and add the flour and water to it,  mix well and let it sit in room temperature for 2 hours.

After 2 hours the starter should be bubbly and active.

Add the salt, sugar, eggs and mashed butternut squash to the active starter and mix well till combined.

When your ready to make the pancakes add the baking soda and mix well, now the batter will be really fluffy and light.

On a heated pan pour 1/4 cup of batter and let it cook for 30 seconds or till you see bubbles on the surface, flip to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds or till done.


Serve warm with some maple syrup or and side of your choice.

Note:
*They freeze well.
*The butternut squash can be replaced with pumpkin puree too.
*Feel free to add any kind of flavouring of your choice.

Comments