Pesto Pasta

Pesto is once sauce that has amazing flavours. The colour and the freshness of the pesto can never be matched with any other sauce. 
But one thing, pesto has to be homemade. Any packaged pesto will surely lack the goodness am talking about. 

When I was living in Qatar I always has basil plant and according to me, basil is one plant that doesn't require any care. Mine was so green and widespread even though I never watered them is that scorching sun. 

If you don't know about Qatar, it is basically a desert and the peak summers can go up to 50°C. Even then I have not watered my basil plant and it definitely refused to die 😂. 

As I had an abundance of basil I used to make pesto often and I used my basil in my evening chai. 

After moving to the UK I came to know that basil is hard to survive plant in this climate. I have not has success yet with the basil. 

As I am used to basil so much I got a pack of dried and had it stored in my pantry for quite some time. Finally, I made this pesto with dried basil and the result was as good as the fresh ones. 

PESTO INGREDIENTS

1 cup fresh or dried basil
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup mixed nuts 
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
3/4 teaspoon salt

PASTA INGREDIENTS

1 packet pasta of your choice 
Water to cook pasta
Salt 

3 cups mixed vegetables and/or cooked chicken
(i used broccoli, Brussels sprouts and carrots) 
1 onion sliced thinly
2 small tomatoes cubed
5 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp olive oil

1/2 cup Parmigiano cheese grated
PESTO PREPARATION

° Combine all ingredients in a food
processor and blend until nuts are ground coarsely. Pesto should still have texture and not be completely smooth. 
° Check for seasoning and adjust to taste. 
° If using fresh basil this can be stored in an airtight container for 2 weeks. Dried basil pesto will be good for little longer. 

PESTO PASTA

° Cook the pasta in super salted water according to the package instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside. 
° Make sure to reserve 1 large cup of the pasta water. 
° Heat a saute pan on medium heat and add the olive oil, once hot add the onion and garlic. Fry until the onions are translucent. 
° Add the tomatoes, chilli powder and salt, stir fry for a brief minute. 
° Add in the mixed vegetables or cooked chicken to the pan and mix well until the mixture is coated well. 
° Add in the cooked pasta with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pasta sauce. Add little of the pasta water and mix well until the pasta is covered with the pesto. 
° Switch off the heat and serve hot. 
° Garnish with the grated Parmigiano cheese. 

Comments